Coconut oil has come into the lime light in recent years, with it’s diverse uses and ‘super food’ benefits. This one single product can be cooked with, remove your makeup, hydrate your skin and hair. What more could you want?
Coconut oil contains an abundance of medicinal properties and a combination of fatty acids, which have been demonised in the past. Although, new research has shown that these saturated fats are actually harmless.
Populations who consume coconut are among the healthiest people living on this earth. Despite being the biggest consumers of saturated fat in the world, these populations are of excellent health and show no evidence of heart disease.
Coconut oil can curb your hunger cravings. This is because of the way fatty acids are metabolised; the ketone bodies produce an appetite reducing effect.
Coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils to use when cooking, unlike animal fats (which are made up of long chain triglycerides (LCT)) is made up of medium chain triglycerides (MCT). MCTs are metabolized more rapidly in the body than LCTs, which results in an increased fat burning potential.
Another powerful medicinal property of coconut oil is that it can prevent infections and help to heal the body with its antimicrobial properties. All you need to do is clean the affected area, then follow by applying a thin layer of oil over the wound.
Other uses for coconut oil:
- In remineralising toothpaste
- To support healthy thyroid function
- Natural chap stick
- Rub coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
- Can help improve insulin levels
- Can help improve cholesterol ratios
- Can help reduce varicose veins
- As a natural antibacterial skin cream
- As a natural shave cream
- Can help speed weight loss when consumed daily
- It has been known to increase the absorption of calcium and magnesium
- For pets struggling with skin issues when used externally
- Add to smoothies to give them a nutritional boost
Many celebrities also swear by coconut oil:
Miranda Kerr, supermodel:
“I personally take around four tablespoons of coconut oil per day either on salads, in my cooking or in my cups of green tea. I will not go a day without Coconut Oil. It is also great for the skin and hair.”
Jennifer Aniston, actress:
“The Coconut Diet is low carb and includes plenty of coconut in all its forms to speed metabolism and weight loss.”